Friday, December 4, 2009

The End of the End

I went to give my collaborating teacher her "thank you" gift basket today. Since it is so close to Christmas, I got her a poinsettia, a red and green bromeliad, and a red blooming cyclamen. I also got her a miniature purple orchid (the main team color of "City High"). She also got a box of Godiva Truffles, a copy of The Road, two very nice brass book markers (one that was PERFECT for The Road), and a gift card for $25 to Barnes and Noble. All told it was a tidy sum, but I figure since she took me in when I was in a vulnerable situation, it is worth it to thank her generously. I had also been in earlier to give the 3rd period students their little cards; I am glad I came in to say good-bye to all the classes. It gave me closure. I'll tell the story of the "dark side" of my student teaching at "Hendrickson High" in the next few weeks.

What a great, last and final reception I received from the kids in my favorite class. The twins, (I'll call them Nina and Scotty) both gave me big ol' sweet hugs, and, surprisingly, "Teesha" gave me a huge hug. Teesha's hug was awesome because when I first came in the classroom eight weeks ago, she and I had a little "come to Jesus" early on because of her attitude toward me (which was extremely combative).

Those goodbyes made me feel good, but they also, understandably, made me feel quite sad.

So. *Sniff*

Cool.

1 comment: