Saturday, January 30, 2010

Out, Out, Brief Candle

I went to a teacher job fair organized by my university's career center yesterday. I am not really sure why any of the school districts bothered to come because none have any jobs. One city school system, which only has three schools, will have ONE job opening for a middle school language arts teacher next Fall. Wow. The only light in the tunnel at this event was that a human resources supervisor in the school district I want to work for said she could get me back on the sub resource database. I had been on it last year, but I was never able to sub because of my classes, so I "fell off" the list. At least if I can sub on a regular basis it would help me get to know some people in the district.

There are two more job fairs coming up at other places, but I don't have much hope that anyone will really be hiring—except for maybe Clayton County, and they aren't even state accredited right now. I feel like looking for a teaching job is like looking for a needle in haystack while holding a candle in the wind (to stack up my idioms). I do have other potential opportunities for the Fall (graduate assistantship in the M.A. program), so it's not like I've lost all hope. I've not yet been reduced to feeling as though my life is a "tale told by an idiot . . . signifying nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment