Monday, January 4, 2010

Off on the Left Foot

I found out today that I did NOT get the job as a 16-hour a week tutor. As much as I hate to admit it, it really bummed me out to be rejected for a job that doesn't even require a college degree. I'm going to tell myself I didn't get the job because I was overqualified, which I am. However, I can't help but still feel gobsmacked that I actually didn't get the offer.

I heard yesterday on NPR that there is no expected overall net job growth until 2015. That means that I could be 49 years old before things are rockin' again. Now, in the meantime I am going to be in grad school, but it still means that I'll be 47 (at the earliest) when I am finished with a master's degree. Most of the people who have graduated in the past year are doing the same thing—going to grad school and living off student loans. Going in to this second career as a teacher, I was thinking I would be 45 when I got a job, which gave me a good 20 years to teach. At the rate things are going, it's not looking good for that to happen.

*Sigh* I suppose I must put the right foot forward and stay positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment